Sunday, December 17, 2006

Ecuador Countown, 1 Month 5 days

"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." –- Miriam Beard

Traveling is my passion. Why? I haven't quite put my finger on the reason, but one definite factor is my need to escape the bubble in which my family wants me to remain trapped . I'm supposed to live a "normal" life full of success(whatever that means). Perhaps it is essentially this escape that has pushed me into a plane 4 times in the last 2 years to travel throughout Latin America. On the other hand, my heart has led me to foreign destinations because I want to "make a difference". (the picture to the right is from my trip to Honduras--Copan)

To be honest, I don't know how this goal has developed, especially since after high school I planned on becoming a big CEO of a major corporation like my father. But, it could be that recent events in my family, and my first real abroad experience steered me away from this materialistic vision. I have become drawn towards one that to me seemed more fulfilling. It would be a life that I'd be proud to live and be passionate about.

So what takes me to Ecuador you ask? Well, I will be spending 4 months outside of Quito with a host family through a study abroad program. This program is focused on International Development through the University of Minnesota. I will be taking classes in Spanish on International Development Theory, Country Analysis, Advanced Spanish, and I will be participating in an internship. The internship will be the most exciting part of this trip because I will be working at an NGO focused on development in Ecuador. As a likely career path, this trip will determine the direction of my future. However, the parts of my trip that will be the most interesting for others to read about will be my interactions with the locals, my research project that will turn into my senior thesis, and other daily adventures. Well at least it would be interesting to me.

My research project will be an analysis of specific development strategies in Ecuador, how they have impacted specific communities, and on a larger scale, how this micro-analysis will be insighful for future development in Ecuador. I also hope to include some of the recent elections in Ecuador and how Rafael Correa will play a role in determining a clear future course for the country distinct from United States interest (something to get into another time).

On this blog I will post a journal at least twice a week (probably typing up my written field notes), and will reflect as much as possible on my findings. I encourage and hope for input from others reading this blog as well!

Until next time................

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Dear Meridith,
My name is Natasha Schraeder and I am a student at the University of Colorado at Boulder. I am currently working on a business proposal for a Micro Finance Instituiton. I was born and raised in Quito, Ecuador, and have chosen Ecuador as the country of destination. Unfortunately, I was not exposed to the idea of micro finance when I lived there, and now that I am trying to enter the market, I would like some feedback. When it comes to the location of the MFI, I was wondering if you had any suggestions, what markets/areas have not been saturated yet? From a macro economic perspective, do you think its a good time to enter the market? Any ideas on target population? I hope that his comment doesn't seem to strangely, I just happened to be researching when I bumped into your blog. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and hopefully hear back from you soon. My email is schraede@colorado.edu. Cheers!